Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Exotic wood picture time!

Alright, so I've gotten two of the exotic wood pieces in the post this week. The first is ziricote, whic is what I'm using for the neck. By neck, I mean the headstock and the part of the neck that you hands/palms go on (Behind the fretboard). The fretboard is going to be macassar ebony, which is also called stripe ebony. I have pictures.
First, three pictures of the ziricote. Ziricote is super exotic, and feels very nice and fast with an oil finish. Super tough, which is why I'm using it as a neck. It's got chocolate-esqe swirls, with nice blond streaks as you go further out.
Photobucket
Ziricote v2
ziricote v5

Next is the ebony. I only have one picture, but you can google more if you wish. This one picture shows to dark wood, with chocolate stripes as well as a purple stripe (It looks red, and it's on the right side). Sorry about the flash.
Ebony

Now, I'm getting a bookmatched lacewood top for the guitar, and I got it custom made for me from a guy in North Carolina, or something. It hasn't arrived yet, but he emailed me pictures. Here's three. First is dry, second is slight un-dry (Not quite wet though) and the third is sprayed with some moisturiser that shows off the grains.
Lacewood dry.
Lacewood Wet v.1
Lacewood wet

I have also started work on smoothing down all the wood I have, so I can start gluing it. Once everything else comes (all the hardware), I'll post pictures. Thanks for looking!
As usual, comments appreciated.

1 comment:

  1. HOLY GORGEOUS grain on that last one! actually, it's all just stunning.

    ReplyDelete